On October 4th and 5th, more than 1,200 people gathered together in Rochester and Minneapolis at New Life Family Services’ Annual Fundraising Banquets celebrating 40 years of ministry. It was two incredible evenings celebrating the impact New Life has had in the past four decades.
The keynote speaker for the evening was Melissa Ohden. Her life was radically changed at the age of 14 when she found out she is a survivor of a failed saline-infused abortion. Her story includes her mother being forced into the abortion, surviving five days in utero in the toxic solution meant to end her life, and being adopted by a loving family who was told she would likely not survive or have multiple issues if she did. However the message that still rings in our ears is a beautiful story of true love and forgiveness between Melissa and her biological parents and grandparents. We heard time and time again how God has intricately woven together the details of her life to be a shining example of His grace, forgiveness, healing and the absolute preciousness of life itself.
In addition, Tammy Kocher, Executive Director shared exciting updates regarding the progress of Vision 2015 (New Life’s plan to double the number of clients served and lives saved each year by 2015). The highlights from 2013 include the following:
- Our pregnancy center in St Paul is in the process of expanding and relocating into a larger space nearly twice the size that will better enable us to serve the increased clients we are seeing. We anticipate being into the new space by the end of 2013.
- Our Conquerors healing after abortion program has added one-on-one mentoring in addition to its existing support groups, developed a speaker’s team for churches and other organizations, and begun forming partnerships with other organizations such as local drug and alcohol rehab programs.
- Our University/Minneapolis office implemented STD/STI Testing & Treatment this past March and saw an immediate increase in clients visiting our center. In addition, this office recently relocated and expanded to a highly visible space on University Ave. that is more than twice the size of the previous space.
And looking ahead into 2014, we are excited for the following:
- Expanding our impact in the Rochester community by renovating our existing pregnancy center space, adding STD/STI testing and treatment, and giving the office an exterior makeover to increase visibility.
- Taking steps to open a fifth high-impact pregnancy center in an urban area in the Mpls/St Paul area.
“We are so thankful for the ways God has provided for the needs of our clients and the organization as a whole these past 40 years,” shared Tammy Kocher. “We stand amazed at the thousands of lives that have been transformed, many for eternity, through the work for New Life.”
For a glimpse at some of the lives that have been impacted by New Life in the past 40 years, watch this powerful video. (http://vimeo.com/77056483)